Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Wool Scrap Pet Portrait ~ Pug Wall Hanging



Happy Wednesday everyone!

Archie and I had so much FUN this weekend!

We made a wool pug collage wall hanging from left over scraps of felted sweaters that we have in our stash.

It was so easy and fast to make!

All I did was cut out pug shaped pieces from the sweater scraps and glue them onto a retro placemat like a puzzle to make this in just one afternoon!

I love finding wool sweaters at thrift stores to throw in the washer on hot and then in the hot dryer to felt them into beautiful cutting fabric that does not fray or unravel when you cut it. :)

Some of the other projects I have made from these sweaters are the wool felt houses that Melanie and I love to make together & the pug doll I just made last month.

Thrift stores have a treasure trove of wonderful materials that you can use for all of your creations without breaking the bank!

I buy yarn, fabric, wool sweaters, sheets, pillowcases, and even the retro placemat that I glued my pug collage onto as the background!

I found a set of 4 of them for only $3 and the wool sweaters range in price from $3 to $6 each.

I also love to buy clothes there for me to wear! :)
Most of them are brand new and cost a fraction of what I would pay at the store.
My favorite Gap long sleeve waffle shirt that has kept me warm all winter would have cost $50 at full retail price and only cost $5 at my local ARC!
...but I digress with my excitement for finding treasures. :)

OK... back to my project explanation...

All I did to make the background was to fold down the top end of the placemat to make a flat edge.
I thought it created some interest by showing the mustard side to allow the pug face to pop a bit instead of competing with the busy plaid print. :)







After it was set and dry I glued a few pieces of acrylic black yarn along the outside edge to finish it off and Voila...




It was done and ready to hang in the kitchen to smile at me, Fred and Archie everyday just like the real Archie!

He inspires me everyday!

What FUN things are you up to this week?

Please leave us a note and let us know!

We cannot wait to hear all about them!

xoxoxo
Melissa & R-Chee


2 comments:

Sketching with Dogs said...

I love your pug portrait so much, his face is adorable!
Lynne x

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Missy.. you have so much fun and we get excited coming here to see what kind of fun you are making next! We love to see you happy! Your like a happy buzzing bumble bee- going here and there,,, and just being happy,,,
and SHARING it all with us!
love
twee