Monday, October 29, 2012

Cereal Box Book #2 ~ The Art Retreat!

 
Happy Monday everyone!
 
I am so excited to show you my 2nd Cereal Box Book I made to honor the art I made at the Art Camp for Women Retreat Melanie and I attended!
 
So as not to overwhelm you with photos, I will show you Melanie's art that she made this Thursday! :)

 
To decorate my book, I had FUN printing reproductions from the art I created in my watercolor blob book.
 
To stiffen each one, I glued them onto the cereal box cardboard and then cut them out.
 
Then I glued them on the cover of the cereal box book cover that I made.
 
The cereal box cover is wrapped with a paper bag painted with acrylic paint that I crinkled up after it dried to make it look like blue leather. :)
 



 
The vintage toy creatures that are helping to decorate the book cover are from the same artist, Scott, who makes the wooden butterflies I recently showed you that decorate my walls and the 1st Cereal Box Book that I made. :)

 
Like the 1st book, I glued some of the artwork onto the tops of the pages so that they would pop out in different depths of the book to show them off and give the book more dimension and interest while on display.
 
 
The binding sews in all the pages and is decorated with colorful buttons!

 
Here is my book bound and tied.
 
I love the colorful pages I created by coating cereal box cardboard in gesso and then painting over that with a wash of watercolor.

 
I used acrylic gel medium to glue in the actual drawings & doodles that I made onto these colorful pages.




 
This is a washi tape drawing that I created and you can too with Carla Sonheim's wonderful tutorial she made for all of us to enjoy.

 
Ta Da!
 
Here are my two Cereal Box Books smiling at me while I work!
 
I just love them!
 
Thank you so much for taking the time to look at them with me!
 
xoxoxo
Melissa
 

4 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

What a treasure and so creative ~ fun characters ~ well done ~ (A Creative Harbor) artmusedog and Carol ^_^

Sketching with Dogs said...

They are gorgeous Melissa. Everything you make always has such a 'happy' vibe :)
Love them all!
Lynne x

Molly the Airedale said...

They are just beautiful, Melissa! What wonderful memories from this art retreat!

Love ya lots,
Mitch and Molly

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I love it when you share your photos.
Do you know why? It is because it shows how happy you are. It lets me know your heart is singing.
love
tweedles