Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Orange Chocolate Cake with Extra Fiber!




Hi Everyone!


Happy Tuesday!

Look at this delicious Orange Chocolate Cake (with extra fiber) that Archie and I just crocheted!

I found the pattern in the same fabulous book, Yummi Gurumi, that I made my tray of crocheted veggies & dip last week.



Look how fun!


The chocolate icing even drips down the sides!


I made this from some of my yarn scraps of baby alpaca, wool, bamboo and acrylic.


I love all the richness of bringing in different textures and thicknesses of yarn into a project.


The book's pattern calls for cotton thread and a tiny size 10 steel hook which would have given me a bottle cap sized cake.


I do not really enjoy working that small so I bumped it up to size E Hook and got a bigger cake.


It will be really fun to use even thicker worsted weight yarn and a larger G or H hook next to see how much bigger it gets. :) Playing with a pattern's gauge can be a fun exercise in changing a project to fit your needs or stitch size.


Everyone's hands work a little differently and so it is always fun to make something truly your own by seeing what works best for you!

Do you have a favorite recipe, pattern or project that you have tweeked and made your own?


Please leave us a note and tell us all about it!


I cannot wait to hear and see if you have a link to share!


xoxoxo

a & m

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The orange chocolate cake looks so yummy.

Salinger The Pug said...

Mmmm...looks good enough to eat! NOM NOM NOM NOM...PUUHHHH! (cough cough!)....what the??????

I guess it's not for nomming!

Hahahaha!

Love,
S-Dog

Sketching with Dogs said...

That is fantastic!
I like the way you have used different thickness of yarn, it works really well. The orange slices and chocolate are brilliant.
Lynne xx

Piggy said...

orange chocolate make me hungry :)~~

Too Cute Pugs said...

Oooh, that looks yummy but Mommy has taught us that we are not to eat yarn.

And boy, Mommy says crocheting with a teeny weeny hook would be so hard! She got a pattern for a tablecloth at a garage sale but when she saw how small the hook was going to be, she said, forget this!

Pug love from,
Pearl & Daisy

The Devil Dog said...

Oh man, I thought it was a cake I could eat. Bummer. But it is so cute!

Roxy

I guess I'll have to stick to my strawberries.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

We want a bite right now!
The drizzling chocolate,, oh my gosh!
You made it perfect,, and making it bigger,, just makes more to eat,,, or???
It so cute,,,, and looks like fun to make
love
twee

Vito and Gina said...

Oh Melissa, it looks DELICIOUS! My mouth is watering!!!

Later!
Vito