Monday, March 08, 2010

Mosaic Birdhouse Workshop!








Happy Monday everyone!

Melanie and I had the best time at our first workshop of 2010.

We learned how to make mosaic birdhouses on Saturday with instructor, Shelley Goddard.



Here is what the table looked like when we arrived.

There were 6 people in the class and we all got to create from an infinite amount of broken pottery and glass.




Melanie and I were so excited to use our special pug and corgi tiles we purchased on Etsy just for this very afternoon!



We purchased them from a wonderful artist on Etsy, Fauna Couture.


Here is the back side of my birdhouse which is the first side that I completed.



and here is the back of Melanie's birdhouse!



Here is the second side I did. I like how the green piece of glass reminds me of a chimney covered in ivy like at my grandma's house.

I did not think about what I was doing when I was creating. I just intuitivley picked up or cut pieces of glass and glued them down. It was a very fun and magical process.



Here is Melanie working in the flow!

The next few shots are of how the houses progressed throughout the afternoon...



How can you not be creative with Chewy the bulldog keeping you company? :)

What a great studio buddy!








I love how Melanie used pieces of a ceramic plate for her roof and round glass beads cut in half for the sides!

It was an absolutely fabulous day!

Melanie and I will definitely be taking more mosaic classes!



Please come back tomorrow to see the fun new crochet project I just finished. :)

What did you do this weekend? Please leave us a comment and tell us all about it!

Spring is definitely in the air!

xoxoxo

Melissa

24 comments:

Sketching with Dogs said...

Oh they are fantastic! I wish I could have come with your both, I would have loved it.
Those birdhouses are gorgeous, I have never seen anything like them. The lucky birds will be fighting over who gets to live in such a des res!
Chewy, the studio assistant is a cutie.
Lynne xx

Manon said...

You girls did an amazing job!! I enjoyed looking at all the pics. Great work!! I love that you get to do all this stuff with Melanie!!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Those are just gorgeous - love all the colors but especially how you were able to add in the special pug tiles too.

Laura said...

You continue to amaze me! What a fun class, and a cool birdhouse. I was saying to myself as I scrolled down, "I'll bet she figured out a way to include Emmitt on it", and sure enough! So adorable!

The Musketeers said...

Oh my doggy ! They are so beautiful ! Look fun to do one ourselves ! Lovely colours !

Paula said...

Melissa;

The birdhouses are gorgeous! What a fun class!

Spring is definitely in the air!
48*F today and Friday promises 60*F. I am so excited for it and green!

Winston Wilbur said...

So gorgeous and we also luv your pug tile!


Winston

Melanie, Moe, Ollie said...

SUPER fun class and it felt just like spring this weekend! Perfect to be making a birdhouse with my wonderful sister

Unknown said...

oh, those are so neat! I love the pug glass piece :)

GAIL said...

Beautiful! I love mosaic.

Anonymous said...

They are amazing!! How fun is that, I have always loved mosaics :)

Amy said...

Very cute! Great soon-to-be-spring project. I went through a birdhouse making craze a few years ago - painting them, tiling the little roofs. So pretty and delicate to make up for lack of function, although a carolina wren did lay eggs in one of mine one year!.

Sequoia & Petunia & Emma said...

LOVE the pug tile with his cute tongue sticking out! The bird houses are great.

artpaw said...

Great job!!! I am so excite for you, I hope you get hooked on mosaics!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

What great stuffs!

Thanks fur sharing!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra & Khousin Merdie

Molly the Airedale said...

What fabulous bird houses! You girls are so talented!
Mom is in love with Chewy!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Brigitte said...

Those are stunning bird houses!

Smushie Ranch said...

Oh my Melissa, you make the parents look like lazy farts. Well, at least we went down to Pismo Beach to an antique store going out of business. The parent was a little late as most of the good stuff was gone. But, she added to her lampshade collection and found two antique bamboo boxes to house our toys.

I simply love the bird houses.

French kisses,
Betty

Hybrid J said...

The birdhouse are just sooooo cute with the doggies guarding its doors. Just lovely! Thank you for sharing. :)

Tweedles -- that's me said...

What a way to start off the year- with a fun workshop to share and make more memories.
I loved each little piece of mosiac you chose and each color.
They are both so cheerful looking and I know the birds will have a hard time deciding where to live.
Thank you for sharing all the pics with us.
love
tweedles

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

LOVE the birdhouses!

Peng Peng said...

those birdhouses rock!
I have a bag of colorful tiles for a future mosaic.. but first need to learn how to do it! lol! Thanks for sharing your amazing project.

marianne said...

So good to see you and your sister always do such creative fun things together!
The birdhousers turned out wonderful!

ocmist said...

What an absolutely fun looking time you had! Those are just so pretty, too, and we love the little corgi on the one! You are just so creative! Tell Emmitt "Hi," from the Country Corgis