Thursday, December 03, 2009

New Project ~ Crocheted Ponchos for Charity


Happy Thursday everyone!

I had to show you this quick and easy crochet poncho pattern. It is free from Lion Brand Yarn, and I am having so much fun making them for the Knit-A-Square Charity.

The pattern uses a larger N size hook and crochets up so fast that I have already made two! :)

The first one is done in the Homespun Yarn by Lion Brand that the pattern is written for in the Praire color.





and I just finished a second one in my favorite worsted weight acrylic yarn made for Hobby Lobby, "I Love This Yarn".

Can you see Emmitt in the photo above? He is such a great helper! He is my little shadow. :)

I used lavendar and purple and put a row of bobbles in the yoke.


I have never made or worn a poncho before, but they are really fun and warm! I am excited to keep trying different kinds of yarn to see how it changes the drape and warmth.

The whole pattern is worked in the round using a half double crochet stitch so it it still tightly woven, but hangs a little more softly than a single crochet stitch.


I also wanted to let you know that I am excited to get caught up on all of your posts. Happily this time of year is very busy, but it interferes with my blogging and socializing time! Heeee!

Emmitt and I promise to be back to our normal commenting soon!

xoxoxoxoxo

m & e

15 comments:

Stubby said...

Hi Melissa & Emmitt! Mom says the ponchos are so 1970's. She used to wear them when she was little and apparently now they are back in fashion - go figure!

You should make one for Emmitt since he is your helper.

Stubby xoxo

Salinger The Pug said...

SO CUTE!!!

Mom is glad that Stubby's mom said something about wearing them in the 70's because my mom did too!!! Hers was pink and had pom poms on it too!!!!

BTW, they look GREAT with old school brown clunky clogs! HAHAHAHA

NICE work Melissa! You are SO creative and crafty! Do you EVER have disasters??? We'd LOVE to see a blog of your "FAIL" projects just to prove that you're human!!!!

Happy Thursday!

Love,
S-Dog

Mare said...

Oh Melissa i love these! Thank you for sharing! There is just not enough time in a day(week/month) to do all the things i want to do, but i sure am going to try! You are an inspiration to me...

Laura said...

These are adorable, Melissa! I've got to learn how to do that bobble - it really adds a cute touch!

Ruth Welter said...

Melissa, your poncho is gorgeous!! I so admire this talent. I am trying and I emphasize the word "trying" to learn to knit. I guess it is getting a little better each day but boy, I'm struggling.

Keep up the beautiful work.

Ruth

Sketching with Dogs said...

Those are so pretty, love the lavendar one!

Too Cute Pugs said...

Thanks for sharing this, Melissa!!

My crocheting is getting a lot better. I might actually be able to make this! LOL

I have a poncho my mom knitted me a few years. I LOVE it.

Sue

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

I made ponchos for my oldest granddaughter when she was little. They are a lot of fun. I am hoping to start on a big afghan in that Homespun yarn after the holidays. My girls love them when I make them with a double yarn, nice and thick and warm.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Mom admits to some ponchos in her past!

Tank woo fur sharing this projekht!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Liss said...

beautiful

Joan Princing Art said...

I LUV these Ponchos... and I think just maybe I might be able to do this one! Hooray! Thanks for sharing the info on the free pattern, I'm going to sign up right now. Cross your fingers!

Have a fun day.
Joan and Skippy

marianne said...

Ponchos are really hot now!
Like the lavender one!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Melissa
My mom used to wear one in 1979. It was kinda long. Now she like them and she likes blankets that look like pochos.
Yours are so cute and someone is going to LOVE them!
love
tweedles

Molly the Airedale said...

We love the ponchos, Melissa!
You sure do stay busy!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Leah said...

so sweet! i love the lavender with the red border!