Monday, October 05, 2009

A Life Saver and a Winner!

Hi Everyone!

Happy Monday!

We are back from Craft Weekend and Melanie and I had a fabulous time!

I cannot wait to show you this week what we made!

But before I show you what I made even before leaving for Craft Weekend or announcing a Winner for the Pug Fabric Buttons, I have to tell you about a complete Life Saver!



For the last couple of years, I have backed up my computer automatically everyday on an online system called Carbonite. It stores your files off site in case of a catastrophic event to your computer. It saves all of your files so that you can do a complete restore if you need too. Gulp!

I have at times needed to restore a file I messed up or even had a partial hard drive failure that I needed to restore a few damaged files, but I have never had a complete melt down.

Well, Thursday afternoon changed all that! I was happily working on my computer when the screen went completely black and a burning smell filled the room. My husband (being a computer guy and not completely in shock) smartly unplugged the computer and found that the power supply had failed sending a million, zillion volts through the motherboard, which then continued to fry my hard drive! A complete system failure! Oh NOOOOOoooo!

If I did not have Carbonite, I would have lost everything! All of my websites, art files, photos of Emmitt ~ just everything! My whole life really!

But because everything was backed up, I was surprisingly totally calm! Fred helped me pick out and buy a new computer that evening and then we set up the restore function to put all my files back on my beautiful new computer. Within one day, I was totally back up an running!

I am so grateful that I had a system in place that really saved me. It is only about $50/year and totally worth every penny. Even if I never need to restore another file, I will always have a system like this in place for the just in case moment! I had to share that story with you so you could be prepared too. I love Carbonite because even I can use it! It is super user friendly and is continually backing up your system behind the scenes. You do not even have to schedule it!

And Now for the Winner of the Pug Fabric Button Giveaway #2!

Congratulations to...

Kelly of Pug(s) and Bugg!

Please email me your address Kelly and I will send them off right away! :)

The fun continues... I will have another Pug Fabric Button Giveaway soon!

Melanie and I had the best time at craft weekend! I have lots of pictures of the projects we made. I will get them organized and show them to you this week.

In anticipation of this wonderful retreat, I made Melanie and I each a crocheted bobble sweater to wear all weekend while we were crafting. :) It was a surprise to Mel and so hard to keep from her.
She was so excited when I pulled them out of my bag!

Here is my sweater...







and here is Melanie's!

I made hers with a little corgi on the front just like her Moe!





How fun!

We both smiled and put on our sweaters as fast as we could!

Let the crafting begin!
And boy did it ever!

There was yarn, thread, fabric, needles, crochet hooks, teddy bear parts, stuffing and more all over her house for 3 days!




I cannot wait to show you this week what we made!

xoxoxoxo

Melissa

17 comments:

Stubby said...

Hi Melissa & Emmitt! The sweaters are absolutely beautiful. I cannot wait to see what you and Melanie made this weekend.

Stubby xoxo

The WriggleButts said...

I have an external hard drive that I back-up onto every once in a while (plus I have more or less all my pictures online). Sounds very convenient with something that goes automatically, though! :) Glad your fried computer didn't cause too many worries.

ane

Pug(s) and Bugg said...

We are SO EXCITED to win!!!!!!!! In shock, seriously. This is perfect :)

Also thanks for posting about carbonite. I have a mac that has a program where it will automatically back up your stuff onto a hard drive... but I haven't set it up (EVEN THOUGH I HAVE AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE- LaCie- that is HUGE!) so you have motivated us to try to do it. Thanks Melissa you are amazing!

Also I'm going to blog about this on both my blogs!!! (My wedding blog since I'll use the button for the wedding bouquet!)

Kelly said...

Oh Melissa, thanks for sharing the Carbonite info with us! I am so glad you were prepared for the unexpected!

And YAY to Kelly winning those buttons! I know she is thrilled!

Unknown said...

holy moly!!! those sweaters are amazing!!! what fun Melissa!!!

hugs
Diana

Anonymous said...

Oh no! We store our stuff on a an external harddrive, I need to go buy one especially for my pictures though. I take a ton! ;)
New computers are so much fun!

Sounds like you had a great weekend. :)

Rosie said...

Beautiful sweaters - you are such a talent! I love your house too! Nice floors!!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We have an external hard drive too. You were very fortunate and smart to have that in place. You would have lost so much that you could never replace.

Love your sweaters.

Tail wags, the OP Pack

dw said...

Wow, good thing you had that back up! Frying hard drives never ends well.

Manon said...

Love the sweaters!! Wow!
I'm glad you had back up..... whew!!

Manon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Tank woo fur sharing about The Life Saver -

Mom just might have to look into that - we have an external hard drive but she's been a bit negligent in doing THAT -

Khongrats to the button winner!

AND tank woo fur sharing the sweaters too!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Melissa and Emmitt
The sweaters are just preciously beautiful. We love them SO MUCH!
Congratuations to Kelly for winning the prize!

And thank you for the tips on the carbonite. I am so happy that Fred is the magic man to know what to do!
We would be so lost without you!
love
tweedles

GAIL said...

You are so smart to have had a computer backup system. You and Melanie both look adorable in your sweaters!

Molly the Airedale said...

OMG, how scary for you, Melissa! Thank doG you had Carbonite!
You girls do such beautiful work!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Mia said...

We can't wait to see all teh wonderful things you created!!!

Lilo

Sandra y Coco Pug said...

Hi Melissa! I love the sweaters! And yay for Kelly, what a lucky girl she is!
Thank you so much for writing about carbonite. I just finished downloading it for my computer! my laptop crashed a few months ago and it was a miracle that my pictures were not damaged. I got an external drive when i repaired the computer but It still doesnt feel safe enough (I could still loose it!). So now i really feel relieved! Thankyou again!