Tuesday, September 08, 2009

My First Go-Over Sweater ~ Completed

I am so excited to show you my first crocheted sweater! It is a "Go Over" Sweater for the Knit-A-Square charity in South Africa.

They are dedicated to keeping children warm through creating blankets out of squares that people knit and crochet and send to them.

Every month they have an additional challenge with a theme that people can participate in.
The new September Challenge is to create "Go-Over" sweaters for the bigger children to wear over their all of their existing clothes like a wearable blanket. One of the KAS members developed and shared her free pattern made out of the squares we already make. We just sew them together in panels and fold longer ones in tubes for arms and it is complete.

Here is my first sweater!



I created the four 10 x 10 front squares to be a child with his/her dog enjoying a sunny day. :)



I sewed them together, created a 20 x 20 square for the back and designed the sleeves to be made in the round. They are 16" long and taper from 48 stitches at the shoulder to 25 at the cuff.

After assembling them, I crocheted a red trim border around the neck, cuffs and bottom of the sweater.











I just love how it turned out! I have already started another one that I will show you soon!
I hope it helps to keep a child very warm and make them smile too!

20 comments:

Cocorue said...

what a creative idea and the completed sweater is fabulous and should make a child VERY VERY happy, warm and cuuuute.....

chikisses,
coco

pee ess: will you be designing more than that ONE portrait of that chihuahua in purple????
i'm sooo envious of your beautiful designs for your pugs....

Manon said...

Wonderful job on the go-over sweater Melissa! It looks great on you.... looks so comfy! You should make one with Emmitt on it for yourself.... that would be adorable!

Unknown said...

Oh I love Manon's idea, do you think one of these would "go over" Emmy? ; ) This is so darned cute Melissa. I adore the design. holy cow you are talented! xxooo

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I'm sure we'll be able to hear the laughter and giggles from 'here'

WONDERFUL WORK AGAIN!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Leann said...

Wow, Missy, It's wonderful!!

Mia said...

Melissa, you have done it again!!! I'm sure that sweater will make a child very warm and very happy!!!!

Lilo & Mom

Unknown said...

OH my goodnesssssssss!!! you are amazing with everything you take on...this sweater is adorable!!!! and I love that you modelled it for us!!! how sweet!!!

Hugs
Diana

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

It came out so nice, we really like the sleeves better than the original plan. Those kids will be thrilled with these sweaters.

Woos, the OP Pack

Anonymous said...

That is so adorable!!

Nevis said...

Very clever!!! Love the sweater.

Puglette said...

melissa, that sweater is sure to bring a smile to any child that receives it. you are just the sweetest person, i just know they will feel all the love you put into it.
big hugs,
puglette
:o)

GAIL said...

Melissa, you are truely amazing! That sweater came out so cute. I can only imagine how special the child will feel that receives it.

Mare said...

i love, love, love it!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Love it!

Liss said...

It's darling.

Tara's Art Camp said...

that's the cutest sweater I've ever seen!

Molly the Airedale said...

What a cute sweater, Melissa! It's going to keep someone very warm this winter! Bless you!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Jeanne said...

Melissa, This is adorable and looks great on you. What a wonderful idea and so generous. People are so good. Love, Jeanne and Missy

Stubby said...

Hi Melissa! This sweater is too cute! It is going to make a child so happy and keep them so warm.

You are the best!

Stubby xoxo

marianne said...

What a cute sweater I am sure it wioll make them smile!