Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Celebrating Senior Dogs


Every moment, every day, every year I learn something new from my wonderful pug Emmitt.

He not only inspires all of my artwork, but he is a wonderful teacher of joy and laughter.

Through each step of his life, he has been showing me how to enjoy and appreciate even the simplest things.

One of the greatest gifts he has given me is to set the example of how to rise above obstacles with grace, courage and even excitement.

Emmitt is happy and healthy and just turned 13 this month, on August 1st. This post is a big thank you to him as we enter the senior years of our journey together.


In recent months, it has become clear to me that Emmitt has been showing me another great lesson about life...

Aging is not scary or something to be feared. It is a beautiful time to appreciate and most importantly to fine tune your thoughts and actions about so that it feels good.

Journaling is an amazing way to speak from your heart even when you are not quite sure what the message is. Here is a journal I created over a year ago...


It was an old music book that I rescued and altered. I passed by it the other day and smiled when I looked at it and saw the cover for the first time really. "Tuning Up! Oh my gosh, yes we are!", I thought. We are fine tuning our attitudes, thoughts, beliefs and feelings about changes that are happening so that they are not scary or sad.

If Emmitt has an ache, I find him relief. We now have a wonderful friend, Ingrid, who is a dog massage therapist that comes to the house every Monday to rub out his knots.
If he shows signs of eye issues, we take him to the doctor and choose the best treatment to find him improvement.

Reaching for solutions, reaching for relief, not giving in to fear of change ~ That is my secret for happiness.

I have learned these lessons from Emmitt and apply it to my own life too. This new outlook on life brings me comfort and makes this journey exciting for me.





Our friend, Ingrid, recently gave us this wonderful book that celebrates senior dogs.
It is called Old Dogs are the Best Dogs and is filled with wonderful photos and stories of other dogs who are teaching the very same lesson that Emmitt is ...

A happy life is about appreciating and fine tuning. If something comes up, don't turn away and resist it, look at it, embrace it and find feelings of relief concerning it.

Dogs do not complain (even with silly hats on their heads). They appreciate life in every chapter.


In tune with this wonderful lesson, Emmitt has inspired me to paint this series of Senior Pugs this year.

Each face makes me smile. They have a softness and a knowing about them that show me that all is truly well!

Thank you Emmitt for 13 wonderful years and many, many more to come!

34 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

You have mom leaking, Melissa! You're the best, Emmitt! We love our Senior doggies!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Manon said...

What a beautiful post Melissa! There's something here we can all learn!
I love your Senior Pug series. They are beautiful and wise!

manon
xo

Brutus, Ellie, Pippa and Otto said...

A wonderful post. We love your senior pug series - beautiful pugs!

Pug Posse said...

Melissa, that was really beautiful! I know exactly what you mean about senior pugs. Give Emmitt a big hug from the Posse!
Pug hugs and kisses!
Vikki

Ruth Welter said...

Melissa, I love your series of senior pugs...they are adorable. It is amazing how much we can learn from our dogs and how much joy they bring to our lives on a daily basis.

Ruth

Laura said...

What a beautiful post, Melissa! Three cheers to old dogs, and old cats!

Linda O'Neill said...

Great post, Missy...dogs teach us such wonderful things. I think Emmitt is a little Buddha dog!

Mare said...

Dear Melissa, this post made me weep. I have a LOT of experience with old dogs, and i agree with you whole heartedly. My Gipetto turned 16 in June and is showing signs of his advanced age. I just make sure we get more love and hugs in every single day. Someday i will work with our local animal shelter and foster the old dogs that have been dropped off there for whatever reason. It will be as a tribute to all the old dogs that have blessed my life and all the wonderful secrets of life they have taught me.

Rosie said...

Wonderful positive and uplifting post - thank you for sharing that - I feel good today :)

Salinger The Pug said...

What a great post! Emmitt's sweet face makes us smile every time we see him and we're so glad that we have you in our lives (in Bloggerland)!

Kisses to sweet Emmitt and thank you for sharing this!

Love,
Salinger (and Laura)

Ruby Bleu said...

Miss Melissa...my Mom's eyes are leaking and today she's wearing mascara...she looks funny - BOL!!! What a wonderful post...you and Emmitt are sure lucky to have each other that's for sure!

Lots of Licks, Ruby

Unknown said...

Hi Melissa and Emmitt and Fred!!!

I love Emmitt's tie ...so adorable and he is so proud isn't he!!!

I love all of your work Melissa...it just makes us smile...Cole says good morning Emmitt!!!!

Hugs
Diana

Mia said...

Such a sweet post Melissa. As always you touch our hearts and inspire us!!!

Lilo & Jess

dw said...

What a great and meaningful post! One that as you so eloquently stated applies to dogs and to people -- a sure fire way to approach life in a positive way, no matter the age.

Nevis said...

Great post, Melissa!

Kelly said...

Oh Melissa, what a lovely post. I couldn't agree more. It's funny really, how animals hardly notice their limitations, yet we humans spend so much time fighting ours. We can all learn from Emmy!!

PS Hey Emmitt! My momma was in Colorado this weekend! She SWEARS she smelled some meatloaf in the air!! xoxo

Stacy Walker said...

Great post! We love seniors too!

Woodrow, Luna, MJ Campanella said...

great post - senior doggie are truly special

Woodrow - Sweetie - MJ

GAIL said...

What a wonderful tribute Melissa. Emmitt is one lucky pug to have you. I absolutely love that 13 picture. It is too cute!

Leah said...

I have a couple senior kitties, so I'm joining you in celebrating our wonderful senior animals!!

Love Emmitt's tie, by the way. :-)

Tara's Art Camp said...

yes, a beautiful post. So wonderfully stated.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

What a special post!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Stubby said...

Hi Melissa & Emmitt! I love this post because I am almost a senior. Emmitt looks so handsome in his tie and he really doesn't look like he's 13 at all.

The journal is just priceless. Maybe I will have Mom make one for me. And of course your senior pug paintings are beautiful.

Stubby xoxo

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

What a beautiful post!!!! Dogs are the best, aren't they?

Hugs,the OP Pack

artpaw said...

Lovely post. Senior pups are such a gift.

Sunny said...

Ah, what a beautiful post. A beautiful paintings to honor those thoughts.

Liss said...

That's the best post I've read! How true and inspiring.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Oh Melissa
The inspiration that you have learned and received in Emmitt, shows in everything you do. Emmitt has been more than a great teacher for you.
Thank you for sharring the inspiration with us. Once again you seem to know when it is time to teach us more. Just as Emmitt teaches you.
Once again, I will print your words out. I will take them to work with me, and place them on the wall so I can read! And be reminded.
I certainly am blessed by these words you share.
love
tweedles
and georgie

Hank said...

Melissa, there is nothing more I could add. Wonderful post!

Senior dogs, for sure, have my heart.


Sarah

marianne said...

Oh what a true beautiful post!
Heartwarming!
You and Emmitt are both very special!.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post, Melissa! I have learned valuable lessons from our dog, Pono, too. I am grateful to have him in my life!

Ritobear said...

I love that Emmitt!!! Isn't it wonderful how many things we learn from our furry kids? Pugsley and Barkley teach me stuff all the time. I think they are smarter than I am. Hug that baby Emmitt for me!!!!

judipatootie said...

I am SO HAPPY to find this blog!! found you thru CED kist//you are a JOY<<

Cocorue said...

melissa .....i'm going to follow you
love your senior pug series.....

.will you ever paint a chi like me????

your new admirer sendonf lots of chikisses
coco