Friday, January 30, 2009

Dog Massage for Emmitt

Hi everyone! Emmitt here to tell you about the benefits I have felt from my newest "home spa treatment" that my mom does for me to keep me feeling young and bouncy.



You would never know I will be 12 1/2 on Feb 1st.


Over the last year or so, my pawrents have noticed that I seemed a bit stiff and sore when I got up from my naps. In an effort to ease any pain I may be feeling they have consulted my wonderful vet, and have added things to my daily routine to keep me young and flexible.
One of the things they have done is to hire a canine massage therapist that comes to our house once a week to work on any tension in my neck, shoulders and hips. Ingrid is the sweetest lady and I love our visits. I get so excited when she comes that mom has to have a special chew bone ready to keep me occupied during our session or I talk to Ingrid the whole time and we do not get as much work done as we should.

One of the things I really like about this new activity is that Ingrid has shown mom some doggy massage techniques that really help to keep me pain free in between the professional visits.
My mom has always told me that I am an excellent communicator and now every evening I come to her and give her the end I want rubbed. Sometimes it is my neck and shoulders, sometimes it is my back and hips. I just walk right up to her and talk to her until she closes her laptop and begins my massage. She thinks it is fun how I eventually flop over into "bliss land" just like a person and relax for the massage.
Since mom has been doing it, Ingrid has noticed a big difference in the tension I carry between sessions and says mom may be able to take over in between for longer times between her visits.


Besides feeling really good, I think it is a fun way for mom and me to spend quality time together. I usually wake up from "bliss land" about 20 - 30 minutes after she starts, and I let her know I am done by sitting up.

Here I am in "Bliss land" Mom says I was snoring away. HMMM I do not remember that part. :)


OOOOooo! Look mom is here! I think I will have her start with my ears today. :)

The great thing about dog massage is that it is for doggies of any age to help them relax and it also slows their pawrents down a little bit too to enjoy the present moment with us. This is one of the many life lessons my mom says I have taught her. I am a smart puggy!

Until next time...
xoxoxoxox
Emmitt

34 comments:

Mim said...

You are a lucky dog to have such wonderful pawrents.

My dog Samson had massages late in life - and he LOVED them. First it was water therapy to ease his joints - then a dry off with a warm blow dryer and finally a massage while laying on a down cushion. That was one happy old dog when he was done with his therapy for the day.

Manon said...

Oh Emmitt! Could you lend my mom Ingrid? She seems to have a lot of tension in her neck! You are a pretty smart guy.... getting massaged all day!

luv, otie

Genie Sea said...

How adorable! :)

Lisa M Griffin said...

REally intersting and fun post. But why wouldn't a sweet dog enjoy a fantastic massage... we do right? Thanks for the share and have a great weekend.

Allison Walton said...

Oh, Emmitt! Watt a wundurrful mommee woo have! Our mommee sayz dat she cannot do dat fur us. Someting abowt not us not sitting still fur dat long, or someting. We don't know watt she iz tallking abowt.

Have a gud day!

Wuv,
Gus and Waldo

Unknown said...

Of course doggies need massages! Just like people, right, Emmitt? Your mom is a smart lady. I can't imagine all the fur that comes off you during those sessions, though!!
Great post and pee.s. You don't look a day over 10!

Mare said...

My goodness Emmitt, if i lay down next to you, do you think your Mom will massage me too???
Melissa, i also give my animals(and anyone else who wants it) Reiki treatments and that works wonders too. I can see the love you two have in that little video...So sweet.... :)

Too Cute Pugs said...

Aw, Emmitt, just watching the video of you and your mom made us feeled relaxed.

Pug love from,
Pearl & Daisy

Unknown said...

EmmyPants, all that hard work in the studio, keeping up with the orders, making sure mom remembers the feeding schedule, really causes stress buildup. We are so glad your mommy is making sure you live the life of Riley. Howie loves a backrub too! we love you cuteypie. You don't look a day over 2!
xxooo

Kelly said...

Hi Emmy-pie!

What a fabulous post! I just loved seeing you so relaxed while your Momma was easing some of your muscle tension. You are such a lucky boy!

Punchbugpug said...

C started giving our Chloe massages when she was just a puppy. She does this regularly and Chloe LOVES it! I think it's a wonderful idea...would Ingrid travel? and give group discount? HAHA

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

My pal Biloxi's mom is one of those hoomans!

She's done lots of grrrreat work too!

Happy Friday my puggy pal!

Happy Snoozin' too!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Unknown said...

Emmitt is such a sweetie!

We started giving Meiby massages several months ago and now she demands them. She'll climb into your lap at sit facing away from you and back up toward you, looking back until you start massaging (pug-ssage, we call it). When we find the right spot she yawns and licks tilts her head like crazy. So cute!

Linda O'Neill said...

Oh Emmitt...I just love you! Your mom has very strong yet gentle hands. You are so lucky to get massages from her!

Sunny said...

Thanks for sharing Emmitt! I know massage helps me out a lot so it makes complete sense that it would help our furry friends as well.

Unknown said...

I see the love traveling from and back to each of you...

Nevis said...

Emmitt, you're so lucky! Your mom must love you a lot!!!

artpaw said...

What a happy friday post, pure LOVE.

When I die I want to come back to this world as Melissa's puggie. What a lucky boy. We do sports massage on our 8 year old Big Tommy. He plays hard ... and enjoys a good rub down. I never thought about getting a professional ... not a bad idea.

Rosie said...

Hi Emmitt,
WOW - that is pretty awesome stuff!! I could just feel my back getting all tingly just watching that massage! I loves me a good rub!

mormar said...

Emmitt, Chu likes to get massages also, but he doesn't hold still for long. They are so beneficial to all dogs, thanks for spreading the word.

Molly the Airedale said...

We're totally relaxing here just watching your mom give you your massage, Emmitt!
What a lucky boy you are!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Peng Peng said...

awwwww... Emmitt you are irresistably adorable, i can't stands it! It is easy to see how appreciative you are of the doggy massages and Q-time with your loving pawrents. A good life indeed! Enjoy every moment :)

Liz in Kansas said...

What a lucky puggie Emmitt is! Jake has been building up a lot of stress since the Puppy came to stay. I'll bet he could use a massage, too!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Hmmmm.massage sounds very good to us, we love to rubbed all over, especially on our tummies.

Woos, the OP Pack

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Emmitt,
I can see how wonderful you feel after that massage, so relaxed and sleepy- snore, snore. Feeeels so good! Taking the tension away. And of course you can feel mommies love in her hands too!
Good idea about the special chew bone for when Ingrid comes to visit, I imagine you like to share!
You have such a wonderful family!
I love you Emmitt
love
tweedles

Sandy Mastroni said...

maybe Emmitt could wear a magnet ?
do they make them for doggies ?
I bet they do !
my cousin [ a human ] had stiffness and pain and now she wears a magnet bracelet . She says it helped her !

Unknown said...

Such a wonderful dog...!


Happy blogging,

Orthopedic|Outdoor|Dog Beds

Ruth Welter said...

Melissa, that is wonderful that you are doing this for Emmitt and have learned some techniques yourself as well. I really believe in these sorts of things. My groomer has taken his little Jack Russell Terrior for acupuncture treatment for his leg . It really saved his poor leg from being amputated. I hope the message has helped Emmitt with his stiffness...

These are wonderful treatments for doggies and people alike.

Ruth

Diane said...

Hi Michelle, That was an adorable post!! He's such a lucky boy to get such wonderful treatment. I know he deserves every good thing that comes his way. xoxo Diane

Unknown said...

Hi Melissa...Emmitt is one lucky cutie pie...

you are one of the sweetest people ever...

hugs
Diana

The Devil Dog said...

Hmmm, I think I am going to have to get mom to do this to me.

Roxy

marianne said...

Oh what a sweet post.
So sweet of you to hire Ingrid and these massages you give. They are not only physical beneficially but I bet he feels and anjoys the love which will work wonders.

Puglette said...

hi emmitt! you are one lucky puggy! our doggies like their massages too, but they are not as regular as yours. i love the facial treatment you get too, that looks refreshing!
hugs,
puglette
:o)

Unknown said...

Emmitt, you live in the lap of dog luxury!!! I am so glad your parents take such good care of you.

Now, can I borrow your masseuse?